Sunday, May 6, 2012

Baby Birthdays and Great Graduations!

I have been attempting to upload pictures for the past hour, but my computer is being stupid at the moment, so sadly the pictures will have to wait. Baby girl was so happy at the party! We had food, did birthday cupcakes (my family is not a huge cake family) and had lots of fun being together. Baby girl loved her gifts. I got her the purple sock monkey as noted on the previous post. I hope she can enjoy it for years to come!

I find it hard believe that it has been a year since her surprise birth (I say surprise simply because she came 5 weeks prior to her due date of June 7th). I remember how the events played out. I had been in Oregon helping my mom because she was having ankle surgery and my Dad was in Malaysia at the time. My mom had ankle surgery on Wednesday. Friday morning at around 7am the phone rang. My parents had caller ID at the time and it would usually tell my parents which kid was calling. When the phone rang however, the caller ID simply said "Utah number." I answered it wondering what was going on and was surprised to hear Michele's voice on the other end. She asked for mom so I handed Mom the phone. My mom and Michele briefly talked but I figured from the conversation something was happening! I heard the words "baby" and "today." It was time. Baby was arriving earlier than expected. While this was happening, I went to my mom's computer to pull up Skype and attempt to call Dad on the other side of the world. The only times we could call were early in the morning or later in the evenings due to the time difference, although something tells me if we had to wake him up to tell him his grandbaby was making her appearance soon, he wouldn't have been too angry. I made to attempts to Skype with no success, so instead I typed "The moment you get this message, please get on Skype. It is vitally important." I knew Dad would be up soon, so I wrote out the message and made sure he saw it by hitting enter a few times so the message would repeat itself.

While that was happening Mom had already notified the Cummings and Passmore's of a new addition and was asking for assistance to go downstairs. I got everything prepared to help her get down the stairs in her bulky cast when I heard the Skype on Mom's computer ringing. Dad was on the other line! I ran downstairs to answer and told him he had to wait while I got Mom into her chair for the day! Once she was settled Mom informed Dad that baby girl was on her way! We were all anxious and waiting for the news that baby girl was here safe and sound and healthy. Our biggest concern was how early she was. We kept wondering if her early timing would land her in the NICU. If so, that was another medical concern our families would be facing along with her club feet. I went to the high school that day to visit some former teachers and friends. When I got home from the visit, Mom informed me that baby girl arrived at 4pm that day. Pictures were abundant on facebook and we were constantly making calls that day!

I didn't get to physically see and hold baby girl until Tuesday. I was scheduled to land in Salt Lake City Sunday evening and was told that Michele and Kory wanted time with their new little one! Kory went back to work on Tuesday. I received a call from my mom stating it was time for me to go to Michele's. Apparently she was having some difficulties and needed an extra hand. While sister napped, I spent the whole time just holding baby girl and admiring her tiny self (she weighed in at 5 lbs. 11 oz. and could fit comfortably from the crease of my elbow to my wrist). Today, we still swoon over her and smother her with hugs, cuddles and kisses galore! Today she was excited for new toys and to be loved on even more by friends and family! I love you baby girl! Here's to another wonderful year with you!

Another big event occurred this weekend that has both the Cummings and Sekaquaptewa's extending the celebrations! Baby girl's father, Kory, graduated with his Master's in School Counseling. It was awesome to see he walk across the stage and have his hard work pay off!

Again, pictures are forthcoming from both events! What an eventful weekend. Now, off to bed. I start summer term of school tomorrow and want to be well rested!

1 comment:

Michele Sekaquaptewa said...

Actually, she was 5 lbs. 10oz. Get it right!!! I am glad you remember (and documented) all those details.