Monday, June 6, 2011

A Scare Coupled With Bad Memories

I had a HUGE scare today. Three friends of mine were in a bus accident. They are performing members of Troopers Drum and Bugle Corp and were headed to Iowa to kick off their 2011 tour when a tire popped and the bus flipped. Does this ring a bell. Several of us were on edge. Was this going to be another Heather Christensen Moment? Were we going to have to say goodbye all over again? I was praying for a miracle...and boy did it come! Casey has a briused arm and leg, swollen face and a broken nose but was released from the hospital after only a few hours. David had his shoulder, left arm and left leg slammed against a wall so a big bruise is left in those spots but he is fine. Gretchen is shaken a bit and is heavily bruised but wasn't in the hospital for more than an hour. We were assured that they are all okay and being looked after by a volunteer corp nurse. They are sleeping now (or trying too at least) and doing well. Casey's phone is still at the crash site so I heard her only briefly on speaker phone Everybody has munor injuries but all are okay!

This news opened up a new wave of emotions for me as well as a lot of people. Many of us realized that both Heather and Sara probably played a hand in protecting all of them. The bus crash from this accident has very similar accounts of Heather's accident that took her life. One person to comfort us, Tiffany Miller. She heard about Troopers accident and dropped everything to help. She was someone who say Heather's body the night she made her final heroic act...and she was with my friends this morning! I send her a facebook message, remembering the day my world turned upside but not mourning because she and Sara take care of us from a far off place. I had memories of the night I found out about Heather and the night I got the news involving Sara. This opened up emotions I had safely locked away in a drawer in my memories so that I didn't have to re-live them again...and tonight I did. A bunch of us were on edge, staying close to our phone and waiting...just waiting for the update. Seeing their faces on the news and hearing their voices made all of us feel so much better. We were not going to have another Heather moment, were we end up angry, confused and cry for weeks at a time because we were not ready to lose our three friends. Now, that the scare is over (I heard they were okay about 30 minutes ago), I should try and sleep. Maybe a nice warm shower will help that process...

No comments: