Tuesday, August 10, 2010

2 Gone in 10 Months...

Yep, I lost another friend today. I was sitting at the dollar movie theatre waiting for Karate Kid to start. I received a phone call from my friend Chase that went something like this (please note that Chase broke to the news to me about Heather not even ten months ago)...

*phone rings, I noticed Chase's name and answer it*

Me: Hey Chase. What's up?

Chase: Hello Kristen.

Me: Hi!

Chase: You are going to hate me as I always carry bad news whenever I seem to call you.

*very long pause as I realize someone has gone from this wrold*

Me: What happened? Who is it?

Chase: Susan's daughter passed away this morning.

Me: Sara? Sara died?

Chase: Yeah, it happened this morning.

Me: How did it happen?

Chase: It is unclear. They are waiting for autopsy results.

*phone clicks dead.*

I, sadly, was then tasked by a friend to sent out a mass text message to all my Blue Knights Drum Corp contacts as she did tour with them and to tell another friend of her passing since I worked with both of them at West Jordan High School. The mast texting started and the word went quick. The movie was less than two hours long and in that time, we all had spread the word, arranged for people to comfort her family (since her Mom was my director) and are now attempting to pin down a date for a funneral. She was in New Zealand on an internship at the time of her death so getting the body back to the states is going to be a bit of a challenge.
I was so overwhelmed with getting everything going I didn't have time to grieve until now. I went to Heather's page and told her to look after Sara and to start a marching band and have Sara be in the colorguard while they are in heaven. It made me realize, I have lost two friends, colleagues and well-respected and admired people in the short span of 10 months.

I love you Sara Raymond. I will be sure to look after your family. Mike, Lorraine and Scott promised to do so too.

1 comment:

MarieC said...

Kristen, you have our sympathy and love. It is so hard to lose friends and loved ones, especially at a young age. Love you!!