Friday, June 25, 2010

My Frustration with Plato's Closet...

As some of my readers know, I have been sick with either strep or bronchitis (most likely bronchitis, but I am waiting on a strep test). So, I was stuck in my room all week, except to attend classes for finals and new summer block classes. Today my fever has been holding steady at 100.0, so I decided today would be the day I venture out of my apartment for things not school or doctor related!!! All week I have been sorting through clothes to see what I could sale at Plato's Closet. For those who don't know, Plato's Closet is a store that buys clothes from people and then re-sales them for way cheap. So, I gathered all my clothes that I don't wear, no longer fit, or no longer care for and headed over!! I came in, went through the usual filling out of forms and such then was told I would have to wait 20 minutes for them to go through them. I stood there and waited...waited...waited..and noticed the girls got to my pile of clothes, went through and proceeded to fold them, then called me over. What happened next made me frustrated and I am sorry if it came off as mean, but I was trying to prove a point...

Girl: I'm sorry. We can not take any of your clothes today because we are looking for a certain label and a certain brand. Plus, you're clothes are a little too mature for teenagers.

Me: Funny, because your website says 'Clothes for Pre-teens, teens, and twenty somethings." Is that false?

Girl: Well, no but we target the very early twenties and these are more for the mid- to late twenties!

Me: Doesn't twenty something mean anybody in there twenties, so even mid- to late twenties?

Girl: Well, yeah but we target early twenties because we have more teenage style clothing!

Me: Because that is what you selected, so it is biased on your part.

Girl: ...

Me: ...and which brand are you looking for anyways?

Girl: *quietly* Popular teenage brands.

Me: So, because I choose not to be popular and actually look a bit more sophisticated than most girls, I can't sell anything here?"

Girl: ...

Me: ...and because I could not nor will I ever be able to or want to spend $100 dollars on Abercromie Jeans because that is a common brand I see here, you will not buy my clothes?

Girl: *sheepishly* um, no.

Me: Funny because your website says I can bring in any brand, any style and receive money on the spot, even for books and DVDs too, but those get rejected as well.

Girl: *embaressed* um, sorry, no.

Me: So, I just wasted my week sorting through clothes, wasted gas coming here, and wasted my time standing here because you advertise a "we give you money on the spot for your clothes" policy?

Girl: ...um, yes.

Me: Wow! I'll go to wandering wardrobe. At least their website says they will check brands and give almost 20% more in cash than what you guys give.

I walk out of the store with all my clothes in hand...and so did everyone else waiting.

I feel bad now for embaressing the girl, but I was so frustrated. Yes, their website says if it is older than 12-24 months it is out of style, so I put some things in that were about 18-24 months old because I wasn't sure, but come on. Anything else that was newer she just checked the label and put it aside. So, I have to be popular, wear teenage style clothes and shop at expensive stores to sell my clothes later? That is ridiculous. Advertise what you want not that you get money on the spot for your clothes.

Maybe, wandering wardrobe in Springville will give some results. I just don't want to go all the way to Springville.

5 comments:

Dorm Bedding said...

I haven't heard great things about PC, so I have totally avoided going there. I hope you start feeling better soon, though :)

Dorm Bedding said...

Ugh, I avoid that place like the plague :(

MarieC said...

I've never tried to sell clothes at PC, but considering Eldon LOVES to shop there...his clothes would probably be too old by the time he is done with them. I hope Wandering Wardrobe was more appreciative of your impeccable taste in clothes!

Lindsay said...

Kristen, I tried selling clothes there once, too. They only took 1 skirt and 1 pair of shoes out of my huge pile of clothes too. And what did I get for them? $5. Total. Not worth it.

Michele Sekaquaptewa said...

They never take many of my clothes either. Granted, my clothes that I take are things I've had for a while, but most of them are in GREAT shape. They just don't take them if they're not in the category of "only worn once and then I got a new one."