Thursday, May 1, 2008

An Eventful May!

I love May! In my opinion today is the start of something new and fresh. Everyone knows the quote April showers bring May flowers...well, I think it is true in a seasonal sense and personally as well. My first day of the month of May started with me visiting a former teacher from high school! He was my American Sign Language teacher all four years and my Skytime (similar to homeroom) teacher! We discussed school and life in general. Then we discussed a project that is ongoing for the both of us. Let me explain...

It all started my senior year of high school. My teacher, we shall call him TDub for reference sake, had an idea in mind that he never thought would get this far. As a huge class project for the American Sign Language (ASL) 3/4 class, he wanted us to reseach colleges that allow ASL as a foreign language requirement for admissions and to see if they have ASL and Deaf Studies programs at the college we reach. We were each given a state and asked to go to work. After many months of research, we had a small list. Long story short I volunteered to put together a website showing all the college that meet the requirements and then some. Now, most of my computer space is occupied with all the information I need to put it together. TDub said if we can get this project put together my the ASLTA conference in 2009, we could present it to the general public at the conference where teachers and students can help us gather more information! Then, he turned to me and asked if I would accompany him on the future trip since I will have helped pull a big part in this project. He said everything has to be ready by Fall 2009 and I don't have to give him a definate answer for at least a year! What an honor. I don't know what to do and for my frequent and casual readers do not tell a lot of people it starts appearing on the internet. Eventually, I will need everyone's help, but until then...shhh... yep a great way to start May.

I just finished working six hours for my dad today and six hours yesterday (roll in the dough!). Now I get to go home and finish unpacking and cleaning my room as well as condition for tour! By the way, anyone willing to donate to my tour fund is gladly welcomed! Just for future reference! Yes, I ot a spot with the Blue Knights in Denver, Colorado and I may have a sabre spot too! I just have to call and confirm everything first before I finally say yes to the spot! I have a lot of hard work between now and Hawaii!!!

Peace out!

Kristen

2 comments:

MarieC said...

Wow, busy girl! The ASL website sounds like a very cool tool.

Congrats on making Blue Knights--exactly when will you be working with them and how does it affect school?

May is a good month indeed--enjoy!

Love, Aunt Marie

MarieC said...

Definitely send me your Blue Knights itinerary (and your e-mail address--not sure I have the right one).

Thanks--A.M.